Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Back to School Raptor Wishes

Unfortunately this upcoming school year marks the end of my high school career, which means I get to face the vague, yet daunting task of "moving on". Though I'm not overly gloomy about my future, I am, as of now, flirting with the "find-the-light-switch-in-the-dark" game. But I guess my pupils will eventually dilate, and I will be able to find that light switch -that is, if there is one to start off with.

As school rolls around, I find myself reminiscing the days of elementary school, when students would scribble their wishes and goals. The truth is, nostalgia hurts, and the more I try to refrain from thinking about it, the more it hammers me. So I'm compiling my short list of Raptor wishes while I begrudgingly witness this flying "summer" pass by.

1. Bosh. Chris Bosh. The ultimate question of "Where will he go?" is such a sorrowful topic for Raptor fans considering how that turncoat Vince Carter strutted away from this team in 2004. When my buddies openly discuss about Bosh, I try to act off-hand and casual about his situation. I reluctantly stifle my true sentiments for I am afraid they'll ridicule me for my passionate attachment with the team's franchise player. When they ask me about what will happen if Bosh departs the Raptors, I would unassumingly mutter something like, "Well, whateverrrr, it's not like we're that bad without him". But here at the refuge, equivocating is not an option.

In a way, yes, the Raptors won't perform THAT horrendously without Bosh. But anytime you witness a Raptor player develop and prosper into a skilled and seasoned veteran, you have an odd, yet unexplainable affection towards him. And it disgusts me in the fact that "experts" effusively analyze Bosh's destination in 2010 based on speculation (nothing). They clamber and burrow beneath the ground, ready to pounce on any subtlety in Bosh's speech, movement, or behaviour. Then they wildly extrapolate that one nuance into interminable bleak possibilities. I was stunned that ESPN didn't indite tomes of books on the implications of Bosh passing New York 30,000 feet up in the air on his jaunt to Africa.

If Bosh leaves Toronto, it would show his implicit dismissal of Bryan Colangelo's efforts and his detachment towards Raptor fans (especially all after all that torrid love we have been giving him). We were all victims lashed by the deadly Carter scourge, and to gape at the departure of another franchise player would be the same as to take a bite out of our already shortened life span. If for some preposterous reason to why you're reading this Chris, please stay, for the sake of our health!

2. Over the years I've come to realize that wishes never come true (at least mine don't). As a result, I am taking careful contemplation on my wishes, hoping not to squander these opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Raptors win 50 games, heck, even 82 games, but these concrete wishes are inexplicably hurtful and scornful when they don't come true.

This off-season for the Raptors has been fraught with delightful surprises as the magician (can we call him that?) Bryan Colangelo has been masterful with his potent tricks. All this roster revamping is pleasant and refreshing, especially after a horrible season. But I am, however, wary of the fact that nine (potentially ten considering Matt Carroll) players are acquired this off-season. That's 60% of the roster! Will integration of these players be a problem? Will team chemistry be a dilemma?

As a teenager would remark, "this team looks sick!" - that is, on paper. And just like last season's acquisitions, it seems that all of the nine players acquired in this off-season fit into system: Evan's much needed toughness, Hedo's passing, shooting, and decision making abilities, DeRozan's spryness, and etc. ; however, how the players on the team will interact with each other is still shrouded in mystery. I just hope that Bryan Colangelo has provided the right reactants to form the desirable products, and that team chemistry will not impede the Raptors' future success.

3. Let's face it, injuries are inevitable. But instead of submissively yielding to fatalism, we can at least try to wish for the best. Let's hope that the newly hired strength-and-conditioning coach Francesco Cuzzolin will take strong preemptive measures to prevent the players from sustaining injuries. However, in the event that injuries do occur, let's also hope that the Raptors' trainer Scott McCullough will be able to mitigate the severity of those injuries with his experience and expertise. That's the least we can do.

A quick calculation indicates that 50 days are still left until Raptor season starts. For me, this will be a period of spiritual exculpation as I will patiently dwell in this refuge, where all of my basketball wrongdoings will be purged. Hopefully, the Raptor Deity will absolve me of my sins and will condescend to grant my wishes.

Wow, 50 days feels like a lifetime for me; I've always feared and opposed rapid time progression, but this is one time in my life that I'm inclined to twirl the hand on the clock.









No comments:

Post a Comment